International Driving Permit

If you’re planning to drive abroad, do be aware that you may be required to have an International Driving Permit (IDP) for some non-EU countries. 

An IDP authorises the driver to drive a privately owned, or hired, motor car overseas.

The IDP is in addition to the driver’s UK driving licence and needs to be applied for in advance.

A full list of non-EU countries that require an IDP can be found on both the AA website and also the RAC website.

There are a few restrictions to note when applying for the IDP:

  • The driver must hold a current, valid and full UK driving licence
  • The driver must be a permanent resident of the UK
  • The driver must be 18 or over.

The International Driving Permit has to be paid for, costing £8.00 (correct at time of going to print – Jan '15).  

The IDP can be applied for from the RAC - a form can be downloaded here - or some Post Offices.

The International Driving Permit may only be applied for 3 months in advance of travel.  Once issued, it is valid for one year.