Gatwick flight and travel news January 2016
Gatwick Airport broke through the 40-million-passenger mark last year, handling 40.3 million passengers, and making it the only single-runway airport in the world to see 40 million passengers in one year.
The airport has experienced 34 months of consecutive passenger growth but what destinations does it have in store for air travellers in 2016?
Take a look at the most recently announced flights:
Thomas Cook Airlines
Thomas Cook is launching four new destinations from Gatwick this year:
- Cape Town - flights will operate three times per week from December 2016
- Cuba - flights to Cayo Coco will commence in May
- Orlando - flights will operate twice a week from May
- Thassos - flight to the Greek island will operate from May until September.
Monarch has announced four new destinations from Gatwick this summer:
- Almeria - flights will commence on 3 May, operating three times per week
- Gran Canaria - flights will operate weekly from 5 May
- Gibraltar - flights will begin on 1 May, operating four times per week
- Lisbon - starting on 3 May 2016, flights will operate three times per week.
- Belfast - Ryanair has announced the launch of a new service to Belfast International. Flights will operate four times daily from March.
- Dublin - the airline is also to increase its daily flights to Dublin from five to seven for the summer 2016 season.
- Cuba - Virgin Atlantic is adding an extra flight to Cuba from November 2016. From November, Virgin will operate three flights per week to Havana
- Orlando - Virgin has also announced a three-times-per-week service to Orlando – flights will operate on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from late July through to the end of August
- Las Vegas - The airline is also launching a twice-weekly service to Las Vegas (Mondays and Wednesdays) for September and October 2016.
Gatwick's long-haul destinations received a boost this month after Canadian airline, WestJet announced it's extending it seasonal flight to Calgary and Toronto to operate all year round.
WestJet's offers six Canadian destinations from Gatwick:
- Vancouver – from 6 May until 21 October 2016
- Calgary – three times weekly
- Edmonton – from 7 May until 22 October 2016
- Winnipeg – from 7 May until 1 October 2016
- Toronto – year-round daily flights
- St. John's – from 7 May until 22 October 2016