Don’t forget to pack your ATOL certificate

Passport, check; foreign currency, check; visa, check; ATOL certificate…err, what’s that?

An ATOL certificate confirms that your holiday is protected and who is protecting it.

In the event of the financial failure of your travel provider while you are on holiday, your ATOL protection will ensure you are able to continue your holiday, and get home. However, if you are yet to travel, your ATOL protection will ensure you receive a full refund.

Your ATOL certificate is as important as your travel insurance and passport, so yes, you do need to pack your ATOL certificate when holidaying abroad.

Don’t worry about what format you take it in, you can pack a paper copy or make a digital copy that can be accessed from a mobile phone or tablet. Just make sure you have easy access to it in the event of your travel agent or airline collapsing.

By law, all holidaymakers who have purchased their holiday from a UK-based travel operator must be issued with an ATOL certificate - there are three types of ATOL certificate: Flight-inclusive Package, Flight-Plus and ATOL Protected Flight Only, so make sure you get yours.

Don’t forget, ATOL protection is for UK-based companies and the same rights may not apply to European-based companies.

Always check before booking your holiday.

To check whether your chosen company offers ATOL protection by visiting the CAA website 

For more information on ATOL certificates visit: